Zuzana, a Slovak native, is a French-educated investment arbitration lawyer who is registered at the Paris Bar. She also has significant experience with international commercial arbitrations. She joined Aceris Law in 2017. She speaks English, French, Slovak and Czech fluently and has basic knowledge of Russian.
Zuzana holds an LLM in International Economic Law from the Sorbonne University in Paris and an LLM in Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution Modes from the University of Paris 2 – Panthéon-Assas. During her studies, she wrote two master theses: on Procedural Treaty Shopping in Investor-State Arbitration and on Anti-suit Injunctions in ICSID Arbitration. Representing the Paris Bar School, she participated in the 12th edition of the Paris International Arbitration Moot Competition organised by Sciences Po and reached the final rounds.
Zuzana previously performed a twelve-month internship at Shearman & Sterling, in Paris, where she was involved in a number of ICSID, UNCITRAL and ICC cases. She also assisted in the Project directed by the UNCITRAL Secretariat related to the www.newyorkconvention1958.org website and the Guide on the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards.
Zuzana performed her final internship at Rasseck Bourgi’s office. She was involved in an UNCITRAL investment arbitration concerning a real-estate project, the enforcement of an ICSID award rendered in the aviation industry, an ICC arbitration relating to a construction dispute and multiple OHADA cases.
Aceris Law LLC – Associate (11/2017 – present)
Zuzana represents the clients of Aceris Law SARL under the direction and supervision of the founding partner, William Kirtley. She works on various cases under the ICC, LCIA and ICSID rules of arbitration. She also deals with cases governed by French or Swiss law or concerning French-based legal systems (such as arbitrations involving French-speaking West Africa countries). She contributes to diverse publications on international commercial and investment arbitration.
Rasseck Bourgi’s office, Intern (01/2017 – 06/2017)
Zuzana worked on an UNCITRAL investment arbitration concerning a real-estate project; on an enforcement of an ICSID award rendered in the aviation industry; and on an ICC arbitration relating to a construction dispute. She provided in-depth legal research on public international law, investment arbitration, French law and OHADA law issues.
Shearman & Sterling LLP, Intern (02/2015 – 06/2015 and 01/2016- 07/2016)
During her twelve-month internship in international arbitration department, Zuzana intervened in multiple ICSID, UNCITRAL and ICC cases including, inter alia, mining arbitrations and construction disputes. She was also involved in enforcement of foreign awards proceedings in France. She assisted in the Project directed by the UNCITRAL Secretariat related to www.newyorkconvention1958.org website and the Guide on the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards. She also helped with the translations of documents and evidence to and from French, English, Slovak and Czech.
Guyot & De Campos, Intern (01/2012 – 02/2012)
Zuzana focused on several branches of French law, such as inheritance law, criminal law, corporate law and family law cases.
RECENT INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION LEGAL EXPERIENCE
Counsel in investment treaty arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules on behalf of American investors against West Asian State
Counsel in ICC arbitration under French law on behalf of Singaporean client against French company
Counsel in ICC arbitration under Swiss law on behalf of Austrian client against Mauritanian company
Counsel in ICC arbitration under Saudi law on behalf of Saudi client against Saudi company
Counsel in ICC arbitration under Kazakh law on behalf of Kazakh client against Joint Venture composed of Italian and Kazakh companies
Counsel in ICC arbitration under the United Nations Convention on Contracts for International Sale of Goods on behalf of Turkish client against Chinese company
Paris Bar School (2016 – 2017)
- Paris International Arbitration Moot organised by Sciences Po, 12th edition, finalist
University Paris 2, Panthéon-Assas (2014 – 2015)
Master 2 in Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Master thesis: Anti-suit injunctions in ICSID Arbitration (written in French, Le pouvoir du tribunal arbitral de suspendre les procédures étatiques: pratique des anti-suit injonctions dans l’arbitrage C.I.R.D.I.); Mentor : Prof. Charles Jarrosson
- Courses: ICC Arbitration; Investment Arbitration; Sport Arbitration; Expedited Procedures; Mediation and Conciliation; French Arbitration Law (International and Domestic); Enforcement Proceedings; French Civil Procedure; French Criminal Procedure
University Paris 1, Sorbonne-Panthéon (2013 – 2014)
Master 2 in International Economic Law
- Master thesis: Procedural Treaty Shopping in Investor-State Arbitration (written in French: La recherche de l’accès au tribunal arbitral par l’investisseur appartenant aux groupes de sociétés : phénomène de treaty shopping procédural) ; Mentor : Prof. Geneviève Bastid-Burdeau
- Courses: International Trade Law; Investment Arbitration; International Environmental Law; International Monetary Law; International Project Finance
University Paris 1, Sorbonne-Panthéon (2012 – 2013)
Master 1 in International Law
- Courses: International Public Law; International Private Law; International and European Tax Law; International Arbitration (Commercial and Investor-State); International Criminal Law; WTO Dispute Resolution
University of Reims, Champagne-Ardenne (2009 – 2013)
Bachelor of Laws and Master 1 in French Private Law
- Courses: French Civil, Criminal, Corporate, Administrative and Family Law; French Civil, Criminal and Administrative Procedure
English – Bilingual
French – Bilingual
Slovak – Mother tongue
Czech – Professional working proficiency
Russian – Basic
Young Practitioners Group under the auspices of AIAC
ICC Young Arbitrators Forum